Do you struggle to get your 5 a day? Well, do not fret, Princess Crafts has come to the rescue!
This is a great way to get some of your 5 a day... Apple and Cinnamon Squares!
I decided to make this part of the Friday Suppers series as it is great for a Friday treat and technically can count as a pudding. If Friday is Cake Day in your office, then take these in and you'll have loads of new friends instantly!
This recipe is one that my mum has had for years and we always used to make it when I was a kid. The smell alone is enough to make you swoon...! It is dead easy to make and requires no previous baking experience.
You will see from the pics that there are only 4 squares left, well the recipe makes about 9 generous sized squares but these are so moreish that they barely make it out of the baking tin and into the storage tin, they generally fall straight into my tummy...
Anyway, on with the recipe!
You will need:
1 cup plain flour
1 cup sugar
2tsp baking powder
2tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp vanilla essence
1/2 cup melted butter
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
3 apples, peeled and sliced
8x8inch tin, greased and floured
1. Sift dry ingredients and mix well.
2. Add the eggs, vanilla and butter and mix thoroughly.
3. Add the chopped nuts and apples and mix well with a spoon. If you use an electric mixer at this point you'll mush up the apples and nuts.
4. Put the mixture into the tin and spread out to make sure it's even. Don't worry if the mixture feels a bit thick, it's meant to be.
5. Bake at 180 degrees for about 45 minutes.
6. Once cooked, let them cool in the tin before using a plactic knife/spatula to cut into squares. Don't use a metal knife otherwise you'll scratch up your tin!
Best served with a giant mug of your favourite hot drink and try not to eat them all at once!!
PS. Please let me know what you think of these if you try them!